Monday, July 20, 2009

This IS the South . . . I think.




Since we've arrived, I've been impressed with the drawl I hear from many Virginianites (is that what they're called?) and it's made me really think we live in the south. Well, today I found evidence that we are indeed living in the south. Phoebe and I were out on a walk down Donaldson Run (aka creek or stream. That's not it, but could be I think . . . ) and I noticed the thickets of bamboo growing in people's yards. I thought that only grew in like Viet Nam or Guam. . . maybe Florida? Well, to me it locked it in: this is part of the south. People here who claim it's not are kind of like those who think Kentucky and Ohio are "Midwest States." (I know they are defined as midwestern, but they are only there because they don't have another group to hang out with)
There are a few simple criteria to be a midwestern state: 1) no accent (Kentucky's out) 2) no elevation change or city larger than 258 people for 120 miles (Ohio's out). 3) you must be able to see a thunderstorm approach for 3 hours before being rained on. Texas is more midwestern than those two, but that's a whole other rant.
So I guess being a part of the south is "having abundant bamboo"? Hmm. Help me out if you can. If I start seeing Grits advertised on kiosks in front of Perkins and IHOP here, I'll keep you posted. I need to get to the bottom of these districtings.
Anyway, as you can see, Phoebe clearly loves swimming in a pool and swinging at the park. We were swinging for a good 20 minutes today. One of the many nannies in the park had to help me get her out. She locked her knees when I was lifting her and her huge wool diaper cover and chubby thighs locked her down to the seat. While I was struggling, she just looked at me like "what's taking you so long dad."
We went swimming at a pool near Alisa's friend Sara's home in Maryland Saturday. Sara's daughter Izzy and Phoebe enjoyed playing together in the kiddie pool.