Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sorry it's been so long . . .

We've been busy . . . and I'm sure all of you have been too.  Seriously though, it's been a pretty crazy spring.  It seems like every time I thought I was catch my breath, some other task came along and pushes me back under.  But the things we have been doing have been great.  

Here's the whirlwind update:  Alisa is sort-of taking a new job.  It's her same job but with a different employer and she'll be more or less full time starting in July.  Alisa's pregnant and due in November.  I'm not going to teach next year (was granted a paternity leave for a year, with the opportunity to renew) so I can keep this place looking normal and start sleeping more than 5 hours a night and stay home with a newborn and a 4 year old who hopefully will be less bossy.

I've been teaching full time and also trying some consulting  for potential part-time work while being a stay-at-home-dad. These enriching experience have been great.  But these great opportunities are why I've had an insane spring. 

I'm looking forward to getting back in the garage to do some trim work for our baby's room upstairs.  We have our garden tilled thanks to Alisa's parents who are here.  Which brings me to to my latest obsession.  The rabbit who is snacking on our garden seedlings.  My nemesis.  At one point tonight I was walking around in the rain, totally soaked, running lines through my head from Star Wars I have you now young Skywalker.  Catching and relocating a rabbit reminds me a lot of trying to catch Luke in carbonite.  Wish me luck.   


 Phoebe's new bike.  Took off the pedals so she can "scoot" and balance first.
 We do a lot of "working in the garden" around here.  Phoebe enjoys filling her watering can from the rain barrel, which collects so much we don't know how to use it fast enough.  Waste away little girl!
 Chinook Hops.  I'm growing my own vine and so is Mark so we can reduce the cost of our home brewed beer and have fresher hops.  It's already 4 feet up the post I put in.  
 May Day Parade and festival.  Last Sunday Phoebe and I had a good day with the Ratigan-Green fam.  Good time!  Having people hand out "Vote No" and Keith Ellison stickers at this rally though is a bit like asking someone what they think of the 2nd Amendment at an NRA rally.  I still got some stickers.
 Abram and Samuel arrived to spend some time with their Minnesota grandparents.  Their Maine grandparents (Alisa's mom and dad) brought em out and are spending some time with Phoebe.   
 Today we went out to Excelsior and checked out the historic streetcar line they run.  
The cousins really had a good time.